Vertical photos


Today I explain why my flickr page has more vertical shoots then horizontal one´s. Lately I´ve been posting more and I realize that horizontal photos are more pleasant to see on the blog, the vertical one´s don´t seem to have an attractive display. So I´m selecting the horizontal format to the blog and leaving the vertical to flickr, clearly you'll find there a bunch of them almost in a row.
I use the vertical format not because I don´t know how to use the camera horizontally but because it´s all about composing the picture. The vertical format concentrates most of the times what I want to capture leaving no need for crop in post-processing. Becomes almost a much more quicker move when photographing because of the fast framing, at least for me.
When I shoot horizontally, for example, I have to analyze better what is in the frame besides the object I want to focus and check the foreground/background. As well if the negative space when exists makes sense or not. Details like that do matter because the goal is to avoid cropping all photos taken.
But of course the horizontal format it's more commercial and used like in stock photography, contests, etc. In the other hand vertical is very used in portraits.
So I may say that it´s like parking a car not with the front but with the rear, few do it with the rear when you can do it with the front part, apparently it´s more difficult and people do it less often.
I have above examples that show my choice between the two formats and why I did it - having the time I always explore the two possibilities.
On the first example and from the same spot the vertical shot allowed me to include the main line of the field that leads the eye to the moon and the moon. Landscapes look good on horizontal but in this case the result would be more trivial I suppose. 
The second example at sunset with the scenario getting darker there was no advantage on using the horizontal reducing therefore the dark areas. But then I must admit that the horizontal pictures give another feeling when we look at them.

Comments

  1. Good! Usually I have not in mind this ideas, because I prefer to look a photo in different ways. I use flickr to expose for me and the others my photo moments, without worry about web style of the Flickr, because I only what to expose the photo, not to take care of the style of Flickr (imagine if one day the Flickr webpage changes the style?!). I think it's more important if you a have a personal webpage...ok here I think it's true important look for this details...

    But my friend, I admire your method and your thought. It's important to have a way to walk and your trail it's pretty good...Have good shots !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EB! I'm like you I just take a photo but in fact I do it more vertically so I decided to share this situation. Since I have posting more at here I've been sharing more pictures and I decided to make it like I explain above but it's not and I'll not be in a rigid way.

      Delete
  2. Li o artigo com atenção, e realmente o formato horizontal acaba por ser mais usado, mais comercial. Porém, acho que convém colocar a questão: porque será que isso acontece?
    Na minha opinião a dualidade horizontal/vertical não se distingue tanto através da maior facilidade de um em relação ao outro, ou o facto de um ser mais comercial que outro. O horizontal acaba por ser mais usado porque a nossa visão é mais horizontal que vertical. O nosso olho também acaba por estar mais habituado a percorrer uma imagem de um lado para o outro, e não tanto para cima e para baixo. A própria ergonomia da maioria das câmeras é mais direccionada para o disparo horizontal. O formato 35mm, o mais popular, acaba por ser, na maioria das vezes, com o seu rácio 3:2, demasiado apertado e pouco natural no formato vertical, às vezes até mesmo para retratos. Isto tudo conjugado contribuiu para a predominância das fotografias horizontais.
    Mas há situações em que o formato vertical resulta de facto numa fotografia melhor, como nos exemplos que nos mostras. Para motivos naturalmente verticais este formato acentua essa mesma verticalidade, e a concentração no motivo de que falas é outra utilização muito interessante.
    No fim de contas, acho que estas decisões acabam por depender muito do motivo, efeito que se quer obter, e tem muito a ver com estética e design fotográfico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vasco, realmente aprofundas com o teu comentário algo que nāo desenvolvi e concordo com os factos que apresentaste. Quanto mais não seja a leitura é feita pela maioria de nós da esquerda para a direita e não de cima para baixo. Sim depende e não faço disso nenhuma regra mas está muito mais presente o formato horizontal. O que me deixa uma pergunta no ar: e o formato quadrado, como interpretam os nossos olhos esse formato? :)

      Delete

Post a Comment